Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

DIY Clothespin magnets


Here's a project that's a lot of fun to make and super easy.
You only need a few supplies:

  • paper
  • clothespins 
  • scissors (or craft knife or paper trimmer)
  • magnets
  • Mod Podge (or other decoupage)
  • paintbrush 

This is a good project to get rid of scraps. 


Set a clothespin on top of the paper and measure how long and wide each strip should be. You'll need two strips of paper for each clothespin. 



Cut the paper.



Mod podge the paper to the clothespin with a paint brush. Press down with your hands to ensure it has a sturdy, smooth hold. If you have any paper hanging off the end, trim it. It's easier to do it now because after you put Mod Podge on top it will harden and be difficult to cut. 


Try not to have excess Mod Podge on the sides of your clothespin so that it will look neat as possible. 


Let your clothespins dry for a couple of minutes. Then, apply Mod Podge to the paper. Dry for 5 minutes. Then apply Mod Podge to other side. Dry for another 5 minutes. You can apply another layer of Mod Podge if you like. But one is usually enough for me. 



Apply a small magnet to the back of the clothespin with a dab of glue gun. When I first did this project, I used magnets with adhesive already on the backs. How horrific it was. The clothespins stuck to each other and when I take them apart, the paper ripped and my clothespins were ruined. 


Let the glue dry. I spray a coat of acrylic sealer on the front of the clothespins and let dry. I got this tip from Amy, who blogs about Mod Podge crafts. This also keeps the clothespins from sticking to each other. 


Here are some ideas I would like to try in the future with this project:
  • spray painting the clothespins 
  • using gift wrapping paper or old magazines or newspapers
  • adding buttons for embellishments
  • stamping days of the week or months for organization
  • using rub on letters
I purchased my clothespins at Wal-Mart in the laundry section. I got 100 for $3 compared to 25 for $2.50 in the craft section. The clothespins in the laundry section are just as good if not better. 

I bought magnets at Michaels. Fifty or so for $4, I think. I used a 40% off coupon so I don't recall the exact price. When I first made these, I bought larger magnets. I think the smaller ones look nicer. 

Thanks for stopping by! Happy Crafting! 


1 comment: