Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Let the training begin!


This week I began training for a half-marathon. Ever since I ran a 10K about four years ago, I always wanted to run a longer race. I made several excuses and a year-long injury set me back. But in December of 2012, I was motivated by a blog post written by national best-selling author Jon Acuff that now was the time. 

Acuff wrote that somebody isn’t a day on the calendar, and I agreed whole heartedly. I threw away my checklist and illusion of perfect conditions and decided Jan. 7 was the day to start. My training began with lifting weights, and I hit the gym with friends. Walking in the gym with support boosted my confidence that I can do this. My friends pushed me to places I never thought I could go. That first day in the gym working my arms, back, legs and abs left me with a degree of soreness I have never felt before. It also left me with the tangible memory that I am stronger than I think I am. 

Yesterday, I ran three miles. It’s been awhile since I have ran that far -  nonstop. Throughout the run, I had to tell myself to keep going. I knew I could run 2.6 miles because I had done it over Christmas break, but I wasn’t sure I could run at a 10-minute a mile pace. 

I ran my first mile at a pace of 9:49 and then slowed down to about 12:00 for my second mile. I speed up for my third mile. When the treadmill read three miles, I was so relieved to be done. But my journey has only begun. 

I know as my training progresses there will be days that I don’t want to lace up my running shoes and the thought of lifting a single weight will make me want to stab myself in the eye. However, I know on the other side of this journey is a higher level of strength and endurance. Two traits I will need in all areas of my life. 

So this week I began a journey. Not just one that will lead me down 13.1 miles, but one that will show me anything is possible with diligence and patience. 

Here’s to never quitting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment